Sunday, December 30, 2007

We're still shopping...


I took Maya to the store with me last night. She has some gift cards that are burning a hole in her pocket. Her birthday is in November and then came Christmas...she has squirreled that money away (MOMMY! I never had a HUNDRED dollars before!)and now she is ready to spend it! She refuses to spend her cash but the cards are driving her crazy!

WELL! My daughter, my only child, is spoiled rotten. She literally has everything that was on her list to Santa (laptop included, thank you Abuelo & Abuelita!)with the exception of a cell phone...HELLOOOOO..she is eight!So, here we are walking around and around the store...no more Bratz, no more CD's, no more board games, they don't have the Wii game she wants...on & on we went... I was DONE! So, she says to me, "Mommy, you know, I have lots of new stuff at home that I haven't even opened yet. I must have been a really good girl, wasn't I , Mommy? I think I know what I am going to buy." She goes over to the dolls and I am curious...didn't we just turn up our noses at these dolls? She picks one up, scans the price and looks at me with a smile (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that smile!) and says, "I'm buying this doll for Sheena!"
I blindly (I couldn't see for the tears) hugged her so tight I hurt her, oops. Sheena is the daughter of a friend of ours. Our friend lives here and Sheena lives in Jamaica with her father. Our friend works as a nanny and sends home money to Sheena along with whatever she accumulates between packages. We have given her hand-me-downs, both clothes and toys. We have sent her birthday presents. But today was a step up for Maya. It wasn't all of the money that she had, it wasn't even half but it was the money that she had allocated herself for that day's treat and she thought of someone else instead of herself.

It made my heart sing. I'm touched by this little gesture. I'm proud of my daughter. Thank you Lord for giving her a generous heart.

Good will come to him who is generous...Psalm 112:5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm I wonder where she learned that from? you are such a great example