Monday, March 2, 2009

skewed truths


Author, poet and motivational speaker Maya Angelou has many quotes that I love. She is such a wise woman and has such a way of seeing the world. I enjoy her and have tons of her quotes etched in my mind (well.....maybe not tons but quite a few)! Here is one that I've been thinking about for a few weeks:

"There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure the truth.”

Have you ever used and twisted words and while still telling the truth, obscure the truth? You can state facts and still tell the truth but at the same time it's a lie! Think about that one. This has happened recently in my life and I have to say that when someone you have had a close friendship with puts a skew on the truth it is very painful. It is more acceptable when it comes from acquaintances but when it is someone you've shared life with, had your home open to, your heart open to, spent holidays with and cared for, it is horrifying and nearly unforgivable.

I'll leave you with a Maya Angelou poem:

“You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.”

P.S.~ note that I wrote, 'nearly unforgivable'. I'm still praying about it! =]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People choose their facts or truths in according to their convinience. Truth spoken in love should always be welcomed when is followed by facts.
Ivy

Linda Vazquez said...

I agree totally, Ivy. Truth spoken in love is always welcome. It's when FACTS are spoken with the intent to create a lie that just KILL me!
see ya Monday! ~ Can't wait!