Sunday, September 21, 2008

Parenting 101, as I see it...


You know, I will never claim I have the right formula for parenting but I do my best and hold God's hand along the way and pray my way through it! There are a few basics, as I see it. I'm sure I will miss a lot but these are the ones I hold closest (by the way, these are not numbered on purpose because the value of each one varies daily!)

Be a good example (walk the walk, don't just talk it!).

KEEP YOUR PROMISES!! (I work in a school, if you tell your child you are going to pick them up early, pick them up...if you tell your child if they behave they will get rewarded, reward them!!!)

Spend time with them, play with them, read with them, pray with them!!!

Pray OVER them, constantly, for everything, big, small and future!

Be affectionate! This morning as I was waking up Maya with kisses and hugs and raspberries things turned silly very quickly and we were both laughing and she said, "Mommy, do you think other moms & daughters act like us?" I told her I hoped so and she said she did too! Love your babies!!

These are obviously very fundamental, very 101, if you like but SO, SO important!

What are some of your Parenting 101 concepts?

One of my favorite verses:

1 Samuel 1:27-28
I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really good ideas to follow. we can all see that your ideas work. maya is a delight.

Ivy Vega from www.ivysmind.com said...

What I do often with Dani is remind her why I am her Mom. I always say I am here to love you, take care of you and keep you safe. I like to remind her as well that I am blessed to be chosen as her mom.....
Nice post....
xoxoxo
ivy